ABOUT US

the-van-cropped

Our Mission

The Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Washington seeks to provide a positive environment, quality programs, and lifelong learning skills for all school age youth in Vancouver and its surrounding areas, with special concern for those coming from disadvantaged circumstances. Instead of walking the streets or being home alone, youth come to the Club where trained professionals provide: a safe environment for kids to have fun and be themselves; constructive programs that channel youthful energy into challenging pursuits; and supportive relationships that help build young people’s self-esteem.

"To enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential as productive, caring and responsible citizens."

Local History

The Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Washington was first established on April 10, 2000 on the grounds of Hazel Dell Elementary School. The current club site, housed within the old Hazel Dell Elementary building, opened its doors in 2004 as the Clinton & Gloria John Clubhouse. With the success of the Club and the continued increase in membership, a second Vancouver-area Boys & Girls Club was established in the Jim Parsley Community Center in 2007.

In 2008, with leadership of the Board of Directors, the Boys & Girls Clubs initiated a Development Campaign to expand and renovate the Clubhouse in the Jim Parsley Community Center. In May 2010, the newly expanded and remodeled O.K. Clubhouse and Teen Turf Club officially opened.

The need for affordable after-school programming continued and our proven brand of youth development was being embraced by our community as our membership increased. In partnership with Vancouver Public Schools and the support of our Board, BGCSW opened its third Club- a school site at Fruit Valley Elementary and a teen program at McCallister Village in September of 2011. Shortly after, in January of 2013, our newest school site at Washington Elementary opened its doors to reach even more Clark County youth.

In 2014, with leadership of the Board of Directors, the Boys & Girls Clubs began our second Development Campaign to build a brand new facility in the Vancouver Heights neighborhood. In April 2016, the Heights O.K. 2 Clubhouse opened its doors. The Boys & Girls Clubs of SW Washington currently serves more than 3,000 youth.

The Boys & Girls Clubs of Southwest Washington was first established on April 10, 2000 on the grounds of Hazel Dell Elementary School. The current club site, housed within the old Hazel Dell Elementary building, opened its doors in 2004 as the Clinton & Gloria John Clubhouse. With the success of the Club and the continued increase in membership, a second Vancouver-area Boys & Girls Club was established in the Jim Parsley Community Center in 2007.

In 2008, with leadership of the Board of Directors, the Boys & Girls Clubs initiated a Development Campaign to expand and renovate the Clubhouse in the Jim Parsley Community Center. In May 2010, the newly expanded and remodeled O.K. Clubhouse and Teen Turf Club officially opened.

The need for affordable after-school programming continued and our proven brand of youth development was being embraced by our community as our membership increased. In partnership with Vancouver Public Schools and the support of our Board, BGCSW opened its third Club- a school site at Fruit Valley Elementary and a teen program at McCallister Village in September of 2011. Shortly after, in January of 2013, our newest school site at Washington Elementary opened its doors to reach even more Clark County youth.

In 2014, with leadership of the Board of Directors, the Boys & Girls Clubs began our second Development Campaign to build a brand new facility in the Vancouver Heights neighborhood. In April 2016, the Heights O.K. 2 Clubhouse opened its doors. The Boys & Girls Clubs of SW Washington currently serves more than 3,000 youth.

National History

The start of Boys’ Clubs can be traced back to the mid-1800s in the industrial cities of the Northeast. In 1860 came the first effort to provide structured, daily, out-of-school activities for disadvantaged boys with the founding of the Dashaway Club in Hartford, Connecticut. By the end of the 1890s, the Boys’ Club Movement extended from coast-to-coast; and in 1906, 53 Club organizations were in full operation. Through their efforts, the formal incorporation of the Federated Boys’ Clubs occurred in Boston. With the establishment of the national organization, the Movement continued to grow. In 1931 the word “Federated” was dropped, and the name became Boys’ Clubs of America. In 1990 the organization changed its name to Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA) and officially admitted girls into membership.

Boys & Girls Clubs have grown tremendously since 1906, changing and saving young lives; providing hope and opportunity for the young people who need it most. Today, approximately 4,300 Clubs serve around 4.8 million young people through Club membership and community outreach. Known as The Positive Place for Kids, Boys & Girls Clubs can be found all across the country and on U.S. military bases throughout the world. Clubs provide young people with guidance-oriented character development programs conducted by trained, professional staff. In communities large and small, Clubs positively impact lives and help young people reach their full potential as productive, caring citizens.

For more information about the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, visit www.bgca.org

Financial Statements

As a charitable nonprofit corporation exempt under the IRS code 501(c)(3), our governance and financial documents are a matter of public record. As a public service, we post our most recent IRS 990 forms here. Other public documents are available upon request.